Data Structure & Algorithms Tutorial (Introduction)
- December 22, 2019
- Posted by: sujan Mukherjee
- Category: Data Structure
DATA STRUCTURE & ALGORITHMS
This is a introduction to Data Structure and Algorithms.
Data structure are a effective set of instructions therefore helps in better storing of data. Almost every enterprise application uses various types of data structures in one or the other way.
This tutorial will give you a great understanding on Data Structures needed to understand the complexity of enterprise level applications and need of algorithms, and data structures.
Data Structure Problems
As applications are getting complex and data rich, there are three common problems that applications face now-a-days.
- Data Search − Consider an inventory of 1 million(106) items of a store. If the application is to search an item, it has to search an item in 1 million(106) items every time slowing down the search.
- Processor speed − Processor speed although being very high, falls limited if the data grows to billion records.
- Multiple requests − As thousands of users can search data simultaneously on a web server, even the fast server fails while searching the data.
Data structure Application
From the data structure point of view, following are some important categories of algorithms
- Search − Algorithm to search an item in a data structure.
- Sort − Algorithm to sort items in a certain order.
- Insert − Algorithm to insert item in a data structure.
- Update − Algorithm to update an existing item in a data structure.
- Delete − Algorithm to delete an existing item from a data structure.
As this is the Introduction to data structure and algorithms so, Before proceeding with this tutorial, you should have a basic understanding of C programming language or any other Language, text editor, and execution of programs, etc. Therefore you need some coding skills before learning it.
An algorithm is a step by step method of solving a problem.
An algorithm is also used to manipulate data in various ways, such as inserting a new data item, searching for a particular item or sorting an item.
However it is quiet different from sudocode and real code.